Home » Services » Public Education Campaigns » Case Study: American Psychological Association
Health care in America has been undergoing an era of unprecedented change. And in 1996, the public understanding and esteem of psychology and mental health was very low. For the American Psychological Association (APA), there was a strong need to raise awareness among the consumer public, the health care community and policy-makers of the health benefit of psychological services.
To secure a strong position for psychologists, Marmillion + Company developed an award-winning national public awareness campaign on behalf of APA and its more than 150,000 members. The campaign, which was designed to reach policy and decision-makers as well as general consumers, launched in 1996 and continues to engage key audiences today. At the core of the campaign are message-tested themes of public concern, free consumer resources, and tools to mobilize a grassroots network of thousands of psychologists to spread these messages nationwide. And, through frequent research to measure the nation's pulse, new health education initiatives are rolled out that support the campaign messages.
• Numerous partnerships that included national associations, retailers, government organizations and the media, such as MTV: Music Television and the Discovery Health Channel;
• A grassroots network of thousands of psychologists mobilized in the campaign;
• Several million consumers taking an active interest in the campaign.
• Advertising development, production and placement
• Campaign design
• Coalition development
• Conference programming
• Grassroots organization, training and mobilization
• Media relations
• Ongoing campaign management and strategic counsel
• Research (poll, focus groups, interviews)
• Strategic planning
• Theme and message development
• Web site consultation